Founded in 1910, General Construction Co. specialized in marine and heavy civil construction. The earliest undertakings included waterfront projects for steamship operators, the railroads and the newly formed Port of Seattle.
In 1913, General Construction won the contract to build the Port of Seattle's first new facility the Bell Street Terminal. Eighty years later, General was awarded the contract to demolish the Bell Street Terminal, which was re-designated as Pier 66 and now serves as the general offices for the Port. In 1996, it built the new pier, breakwater and marina for the Port of Seattle's new Bell Harbor International Conference Center and Cruise Terminal at the Pier 66 site.
In 1933, the company continued to broaden its horizons by participating in a five-partner joint venture that won the contract to construct the five piers for the West Bay Crossing of the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge.
After the Owyhee project, General went on to participate either as contractor, joint venture sponsor or as joint venture partner on over 20 major hydroelectric projects in the United States. Some of the projects included Boulder (Hoover), Grand Coulee, Shasta, Hetch Hetchy, Bonneville, Hungry Horse and Ross dams.
In 1996, Wright Schuchart Harbor Co., an industrial construction contractor, was merged into General.
Wright Schuchart Harbor had been an established industrial contractor since the 1920s. In 1935, it constructed the Puget Sound Pulp and Timber Co. mill in Bellingham, which is now operated by Georgia-Pacific Co.
Wright Schuchart also was prominent in building oil production facilities after oil was discovered on the Alaskan North Slope. The harsh arctic environment required the facilities to be modularized and built in a milder climate and then transported to the North Slope by sea. Beginning in 1974, Wright Schuchart had a continuous 18-year run of building modules for Arco, Conoco, Sohio and other oil companies. The company built over 550 of the modules, which varied from about 5 tons to over 4,300 tons.
General Construction has a long history with the region's floating bridges. In 1939, General participated in the construction of the approach spans to the original Mercer Island Floating Bridge (Lacy V. Murrow). In 1961, General was a joint venture partner in a contract for construction of the original Hood Canal Bridge. In 1981, General removed and replaced the Mercer Island Floating Bridge "bulge." In 1983, General constructed and installed the new drawspan for the western half of the Hood Canal Bridge. In 1993, General built the new $88 million replacement for the Lacy V. Murrow Bridge, which had sunk.
Today, General operates as a combined company performing civil, industrial and marine construction projects on the West Coast.