Subscribe / Renew
|► Subscribe to our Free Weekly Newsletter|
|print email to a friend reprints add to mydjc|
November 5, 2018
The historic Towne Storage building in Portland’s Central Eastside Industrial District has been rehabilitated for a new tenant, Autodesk.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Design and renovation was reviewed and approved by the Portland Historic Landmarks Commission.
Originally built in 1915, the 99,000-square-foot, five-story building had fallen into disrepair and lacked any amenities. To bring the building up to date, seismic upgrades were made, including the installation of concrete shear walls, new steel brace frames and a series of micropiles reaching 130 feet underground.
The 16-month project began with interior demolition. More than 200 original wood-sash windows were salvaged, rebuilt with new panes of glass and then reinstalled to preserve the appearance while improving energy efficiency.
New roofing was added and entrances were improved. Other work included restoration of the original masonry and concrete, repair of the historic water tower, and addition of a new sixth floor with a 4,000-square-foot roof deck.
The building is currently occupied by Autodesk, a 3D design software firm. LRS Architects won the Restore Oregon DeMuro Award for the project.
Owner: Towne Storage Property, LLC
Developer: Sentinel Development
Architect: LRS Architects
General contractor: Bremik Construction
Engineer: KPFF Structural Engineers
Other team members: Westport Capital Partners, Apex Real Estate Partners, Versatile Wood Products
Do you have renderings or photos of recent projects? Share them with DJC readers. Send high-resolution images and information to firstname.lastname@example.org.