Subscribe / Renew
|print email to a friend reprints add to mydjc|
October 31, 2016
Father Andrew P. Kashevaroff Library, Archives and Museum is the largest project that has been built in Juneau, Alaska, in 43 years.
The $138 million, 118,000-square-foot facility collects and manages objects and documents that represent the people and history of Alaska.
The sleek, bright building is on the site of the old museum downtown. Father Kashevaroff was the first curator in 1920 of Alaska's Territorial Library and Museum.
This combines the functions of the Alaska State Department of Education Library, Archives and Museums Division into one building. They were previously located in five separate spaces.
Along with exhibit space, the building features a massive map of Alaska, Canada and Russia on the entrance floor. There are sprawling murals and a display case for community art. A paper and object conservation lab is in the building as well as a cafe and bookstore, and the Richard Foster Reading Room, which has a soaring wood ceiling and expansive windows.
The project was constructed to be a 100-year building, and meets Alaska's energy-efficiency and sustainable building requirements.
Owner: Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities
General contractor/construction manager: PCL Construction Services
Architects: ECI/Hyer of Anchorage (main architect), THA Architecture
Structural engineer: Schneider Engineering
Mechanical, electrical engineer: AMC Engineers
Do you have renderings or photos of recent projects? Share them with DJC readers. Send high-resolution images and information to email@example.com.