Lincoln Hall, originally built in 1911, is home to Portland State University’s Performing Arts program.
Renovation work included numerous upgrades, such as re-coating and replacing original plaster walls.
Interior light wells, previously closed up, were reopened to increase natural light. Numerous challenges were associated with the light-well repairs, such as installing three stories of scaffolding inside the wells and seismic upgrades that required lowering 60-foot steel beams through roof openings.
To reduce sound transmission, sound-proof walls were constructed with double-layer drywall on each side and rigid insulation between framing members. Non-mechanically fastened wall details required special spacers, adding to the complexity of the framing.
As with most buildings of this age, the removal of existing mold and deteriorated interior plaster systems presented their own challenges.
The $31 million project preserves, expands and updates a Portland landmark and arts venue just in time to celebrate its 100th birthday.
Judge’s comment: “The renovation and restoration of this building means we care about the beautiful landmark buildings we have and that these types of structures can change to meet today’s standards. Repairs to the original surfaces and unknown conditions made for difficult work, but after it was all done, the wall and ceiling team did a wonderful job and can feel proud of that they have accomplished.”
Copyright ©2011 Seattle Daily Journal and DJC.COM.
Comments? Questions? Contact us.