Subscribe / Renew
|► Subscribe to our Free Weekly Newsletter|
|print email to a friend reprints add to mydjc|
October 23, 2017
A former dairy building on the Washington State University campus in Pullman has been transformed into a modern classroom and lab building.
Troy Hall now houses the Department of Chemistry and School of the Environment. The $32.3 million remodel and addition totals 50,000 square feet.
The original 1921 brick structure was closed in 2010. The project demolished the interior while saving the brick and terra-cotta facade. Exterior walls were salvaged and restored. Terra cotta from the original entrance was relocated for the new front door.
Nearly 15,000 square feet was added on the north side. The glass-enclosed expansion preserves the original exterior.
Floor heights were increased from 11 feet to 13.8 feet to create a better fit for mechanical equipment.
The building has meeting spaces near the stairwell on each floor; teaching and research labs; and flexible space for a variety of uses.
Owner: Washington State University
Design-build architect: Perkins+Will
Design-build contractor: Lydig Construction
Civil engineer: Parametrix
Structural engineer: Coughlin Porter Lundeen
Mechanical/electrical engineer: PAE Engineers
Landscape architect: Swift Co.
Envelope consultant: Morrison Hershfield
Masonry restoration: Talisman Construction Services
Do you have photos of recent projects? Share them with DJC readers. Send high-resolution images and information to firstname.lastname@example.org.