Subscribe / Renew
|► Subscribe to our Free Weekly Newsletter|
January 9, 2023
After a 65-year run, the Northlake Tavern & Pizza House, at 660 N.E. Northlake Way, will close on Jan. 31.
The business has a long history with just a few owners. Herb and Evelyn Friedman opened the Northlake Tavern in 1953, then relocated it near the University of Washington campus in 1954. They began offering pizza there six years later. By 1974, it was touting its pies as “Best Darn Pizza Anywhere” and had added “Pizza House” onto its name. Friedman was in business for 34 years until Cheryl Berkovich-Winzenread and her husband bought the restaurant and building in the 1980s. Since 1981, Abdoullah Abdoullah has worked at the restaurant: first as a chef in the kitchen; and for the past six years as owner and general manager. After 42 years at the business and welcoming the thousands of guests who have passed through the door, he will retire.
. . .