University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
Keating/Khang Architecture, Los Angeles
General contractor/construction manager
Hoffman Construction Co., Seattle
Andersen Bjornstad Kane Jacobs, Seattle
CDi Engineers, Lynnwood
Shannon & Wilson, Seattle
BRC Acoustics, Seattle
Hammond Collier Wade Livingstone, Seattle
Site Workshop, Seattle
Northeast Pacific Street & Montlake Boulevard Northeast, Seattle
160,000 square feet
April 23, 2001
Late October/early November
The University of Washington Medical Center Surgery Pavilion will house short-stay surgery and treatment areas, diagnostic and other services. A two-level pedestrian bridge connects the building to the rest of the medical complex.
Some of the building’s features include:
- A landscaped outdoor plaza with colorful sculptures, serving as the pedestrian street entrance.
- An unobtrusive curvilinear roofline, designed to preserve to views.
- First- and third-floor clinics for urology, urogynecology, prostate cancer, surgical specialties, digestive diseases and neurosurgery.
- Eleven second-floor operating rooms, including pre- and post-surgery holding and observation areas. Surgeons can use voice commands to view radiology images and medical records, and control ceiling-mounted surgical equipment that eliminate the need for rolling carts.
- Sleek, glass-paneled lobbies and waiting areas with park views and Internet access. A first-floor espresso bar has several small stand-up tables.
- A three-story below-grade parking garage that houses 275 parking spaces.
- Skylights and light wells that direct natural light throughout the building, including staff areas.