Subscribe / Renew
|► Subscribe to our Free Weekly Newsletter|
|print email to a friend reprints add to mydjc|
April 13, 2015
The old Union Stables building at 2200 Western Ave. has been given a new life.
The 1909 building originally sheltered horses. After a $9.5 million project to repair and repurpose the building, it now has several floors of offices and possible space on the ground floor for a restaurant.
The outer third of the 61,000-square-foot building was re-framed to support a penthouse on the fifth floor. Steel brace frames were added to improve seismic stability.
The terra-cotta horse head was repaired, and the two main front doors replaced.
Timber was reused to make counters, benches and flooring. Other upgrades included new windows, mechanical and electrical systems, a lobby, stairs, elevator and restrooms. New spaces were created for locker rooms, showers and bike storage.
The penthouse was designed to be 30 percent more efficient than energy code. Perforated aluminum louvers block out sun on the south, and allow tenants to see through them when they are closed. Louver operation is automatic.
The building is expected to earn LEED gold certification.
Owners: Lease Crutcher Lewis, Allegra Properties
Contractor: Lease Crutcher Lewis
Project architect: Weinstein AU
Office architect: The Miller Hull Partnership
Structural engineer: Coughlin Porter Lundeen
Mechanical design-build: MacDonald-Miller
Electrical design-build: Veca Electric
Historical consultant: Bola Architecture
Do you have renderings or photos of recent projects? Share them with DJC readers. Send high-resolution images and information to firstname.lastname@example.org.