homeWelcome, sign in or click here to subscribe.login



Architecture & Engineering


By Clair Enlow

Subscriber content preview

January 22, 2003

1907 church sees wrecking ball as salvation

  • The church has drawn a line between saving the historic structure and saving itself.
    Special to the Journal

    With its red-orange tiled dome set squarely on a Beaux Arts box of tan brick and terra cotta, the three-story First United Methodist Church at Fifth and Marion holds a space for history and human scale in the city’s narrowing canyons of glass and steel. It’s rest and respite for the eyes and spirit in a city bent on higher and better land use.

    Inside, the sanctuary rises in stages above carved wood furnishings into a wide dome ringed with clerestory windows. Designed by Seattle parishioner James Schack and built in 1907, it’s a forum for speech, with heavenly light and music to back it up.

    . . .

    To read this story in full login or purchase a subscription.

    Previous columns:

    Email or user name:
    Forgot password? Click here.