Subscribe / Renew
|► Subscribe to our Free Weekly Newsletter|
|print email to a friend reprints add to mydjc|
May 27, 2016
WSU Washington Building third-floor renovation
General construction: Absher Construction Co.
Owner/developer: Washington State University
Primary designer: BCRA Architects
Washington State University’s Washington Building was originally constructed in 1928 and served as a public hospital for 57 years. In 2004, the building was renovated to its present use as the student-health services facility.
In 2014, the university hired Absher Construction Co.’s design-build team to renovate the building’s third floor, which was previously used as a surgery unit. The project served to centralize Counseling and Psychological Services with the rest of WSU’s health services.
The first and second floors remained fully occupied and operational for health care services, as well as for students requiring sensitive testing services.
Renovations included converting 17,300 square feet of existing third-floor space into offices, waiting rooms, testing rooms, practicum work rooms, break rooms, restrooms and storage. To modernize the space for its new use, Absher upgraded the mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire-safety systems, and completed acoustical upgrades.